1. We want your script! The 3rd Annual Screenwriting Goldmine Contest is now open for entries. Cash prizes and meetings with our stellar judging panel of genuinely powerful industry figures. CLICK HERE for more information.

What makes of good action movies?

Discussion in 'Movie Chat' started by aschunk, Mar 4, 2011.

1. aschunk

aschunk Bronze Member

Hello,

what are good action about?

The story, the characters, the actors, the music?

What are your favorite incredients for good action movies?
  2. LukeJames

LukeJames Gold Member

Well, generally if you have a good story you have good characters.

But a strong theme will do the trick. Syd Field wets his pants over Terminator 2... If you can get your hands on his book Four Screenplays, it's well worth it. T2 was of course memorable for Arnie's sacrifice at the end and the lines... I know now why you cry, but it's something I can never do. And Sarah Conner's last V.O. line of the movie... If a machine can learn the value of a human life, maybe we can too.

Yup, Mr. Michael Bay could learn a thing or two from Mr. James Cameron.
  3. HollywoodScribe

HollywoodScribe Bronze Member

For me, what makes a good action movie is what makes a good comedy, or thriller, or drama; or any good movie.

A good story and characters I identify with.
  4. caseyhein

caseyhein Silver Member

When you ask a room full of writers what they look for in a film. It's pretty much a given the answer you are going to get is Good story, great characters. This is what we do, we look at film differently than the average movie goer. We want a good story to transport us to a real, vibrant, compelling world for two hours. We expect more out of a filmic experience. My roommates on the other hand would answer this very question with "cool stuff happening, explosions, and titties".
  5. youdothatvoodoo

youdothatvoodoo Bronze Member

What you're saying about your roommates is right Casey, but ask them to distinguish between two films that deliver 'splosions and nekkid women, and they will likely gravitate towards the one that is well written. They might not be sure what that means in practice, but they can recognise it when they see it.

youdothatvoodoo
  6. amy001

amy001 Guest

I chose this book to further examine the phenomenon of social media and the role it has played in society is fragmented into ever smaller groups and in cabinets, or "tribe," Mr. Seth Godin refers to them. According to Mr. Godin, "tribe is a group of people related to each other, which is connected to the head, and attached to this idea." Social media has changed how and ideas to grow, behave and interact, and has enabled the interconnection and interactivity never seen before in world history.
  7. suviapoter

suviapoter Bronze Member

Hello Friends I like to refer action movies like Die Hard, The Terminator, James Bond Movies where its just straight up action with a really awesome character.And I also like the mafia style.