1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

UK Competitions

Discussion in 'Screenplay Competitions' started by Matt Albie, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Matt Albie

Matt Albie Guest

Hi,

First post here :)

I'm in the UK, and I was just wondering if someone could let me know what the main UK screenplay writing competitions are?

Are competitions a really bad way to try to get noticed? I'e so many people enter that there's practically zero chance of being noticed?

Do the competitions mostly finish in the first half of the year, or the 2nd half?

I'm not too bothered about prize money, I'm just interested in getting my work judged and critiqued.

Does it matter if it's a UK, USA or European competition? Seeing that I'm in the UK.

And I know this is dumb, but I'm paranoid about my ideas being copied, is that a reasonable fear when entering competitions? or completely irrational.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. leedx7

leedx7 Gold Member

No, but Ben might disagree. I have no idea how many enter what competitions, but I'd like to think talent shines through. We've at least 2 members here placing in semi's at the moment, both with an eye on a final! so there's always a chance.

No idea. I have thought about doing some kind of table but it's a big task. Check out the "old goldmine" link which I think links to several comps.

Hang around here, get to know people, read and review others, and they will reciprocate! There is a locked forum where ideas, information and feedback is exchanged. Otherwise, some comps give feedback but if you want real coverage, that costs.

Generally nope. But always check the comp's FAQ list, which is usually on the relevant website.

It's not dumb. but it is a huge question dealt with in numerous threads hereabouts. To try and sum up the diverse opinion, it is unlikely but if you want to feel better then register your script.

Tip - always read the comp terms and conditions!

Before you ask :D there are lots of places to register scripts. Off the top of my head, the WGA - you'd have to check their website to see if they take UK scripts though. I think they do - perhaps someone can step in and confirm...

Oh and welcome to the 'mine!

Lee
    :)
  3. Matt Albie

Matt Albie Guest

Hey thanks for all the info :)

funny, I was just going to hit "reply" and start typing "so where do I regis.." when I read the next part haha :)

I'll try and get a list together of all the competitions I come across, and post it on here when it's done.

Thanks again.
  4. Reel Authors

Reel Authors Bronze Member

Yes The Writers Guild of America does copyright scripts from overseas so definitely copyright your script to be safe, but a genuine contest will never steal your idea, but still, better to be safe than sorry.

Don't rely on contests to give you that magic silver platter to Hollywood success, it doesn't happen like that, even if you win the biggest contests.

But placing high in contests (big or small) is a great addition to your query letters to agents and producers, so aim for that and continue to market yourself proactively and networking with people within the industry.

If you're looking for thorough feedback and analysis so you can better your script, Reel Authors offers that along with contest entry ($45 all inclusive) or ($25 for entry alone).

We have two biannual contests running at the moment

reelauthors . com

scifiscreenplaycontest . com

Good luck and don't give up!

Reel Authors:D
  5. shorelinescripts

shorelinescripts Bronze Member

Hi, thought I'd just get in touch to let you know about our new UK screenwriting competition.

Shoreline Scripts Screenwriting Competition 2012.
    Open for entries from Jan 2012.

Our aim is to discover new screenwriting talent from around the world, and ultimately get scripts made!

Please take a look at shorelinescripts.com for all the details.

Our judges will read the final three scripts. They include:
    Oscar Nominated Writer Jeffrey Caine (Constant Gardener, GoldenEye)
    Tony Grisoni (Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas, Tideland)
    Ray Lawrence (Lantana & Jindabyne)
    Producers Andras Hamori (Crash, The Sweet Hereafter, Big Nothing and Morvern Callar)
    Christopher Figg (We Need To Talk About Kevin, Dog Soldiers)
    James Simpson (The Merchant Of Venice and Beowulf & Grendel).

1st Prize
    £2500 Cash ($3870 approx)
    Comprehensive Script Report/Coverage.
    Itsonthegrid.com Professional Membership (worth £160)
    VIP Package (10 free pitches) VirtualPitchFest.com (worth £60)
    Script Consultant - Pilar Alessandra's 6 Steps E-WorkBook. (worth £65)
    Pro Lifetime Membership at Scripped.com (worth £60)

2nd Prize
    £500 Cash ($775 approx)
    (5 free pitches) VirtualPitchFest.com

3rd Prize
    £250 ($380 approx)
    (2 free pitches) VirtualPitchFest.com

4th Prize

5th Prize

Any questions please do get in touch.