1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

Script Frenzy!

Discussion in 'Screenwriting' started by Australis, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Australis

Australis Bronze Member

I put a note on my calendar that this is on again, kind of a NaNoWriMo for scripts.

30 days, 100 pages. No prizes, except a freshly minted script at your fingertips ready to send off.

Have a look at the site, you might get more out of it:

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/whatisscriptfrenzy
  2. Writerguy

Writerguy Bronze Member

Any screenplay written in 30 days isn't going to be worth the paper it's printed on. This contest is a joke.
  3. Kat

Kat Gold Member

Script Frenzy is not a contest really, more a challenge to yourself to get a vomit draft on paper in 30 days. Most writer's who participate know that what you produce during the challenge will take numerous revisions and much rewriting to have anything worthwhile.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Kat
  4. Ortus

Ortus Bronze Member

Indeed. If anything, it will force the writer out of that hell called "procrastination" and encourage them to be more disciplined. That is, time away from the TV, the internet, yet another screenwriting book, the pub, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...
  5. JohnB.

JohnB. Gold Member

Yeah. It at least gets you to write daily if anything.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. ghost

ghost Bronze Member

NaNoWriMo doesn't produce great novels, either, but having 100 pages of a crappy script that you can edit/rewrite is better than being stuck on page 5 of THE BEST SCRIPT EVER.
  7. Writerguy

Writerguy Bronze Member

Well, that's true, but I'm just a bit hard pressed to imagine a bunch of folks who think of themselvbes as writers yet they need a boatload of needles in their ass to get going and write. A writer writes, yunno? That's what they do and if you find them sitting around with their thumbs up their butts watching the toob or scratching their heads or procrastinating or otherwise not writing well, then, maybe they're not writers afterall, they just like to think they are or pretend, whichever.

If you wanna be a writer you have to write, and time's a-wastin'.

:D
  8. ghost

ghost Bronze Member

True! But I think 1) some of the people doing Script Frenzy/Nanowrimo aren't actually planning on selling what they write 2) Some want the challenge and 3) Some people work best under deadline (I sure as Hell do, though I'm not doing this because I want to spend my time finishing up a reworking of a pilot/more specs).

ETA - I'm just saying, you know, it could be a lark, and if some people want to get a rough draft of a script done in 30 days, more power to them!
  9. Ortus

Ortus Bronze Member

I doubt if Shakespeare wrote Hamlet in a week or an Oscar-nominated screenwriter completed their work in even a year. And I dare say they too found themselves in the occasional grip of a writer's block and thus needed that "boatload of needles up their ass" (as you so eloquently put it). It's horses for course my dear man. Horses for courses.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  10. Ortus

Ortus Bronze Member

Indeed. And, of course, there has been many a great script borne out of a quick rough draft. Which is why God created the word..."Re-write" :rolleyes:.)