1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

Question about the logline

Discussion in 'Screenwriting' started by SheWolf, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SheWolf

SheWolf Bronze Member

The script on which I am working has a twist at the end. Something like in the "Sixth sense" or in " The others" movies.

Basically, from the start till the end you have several options on which you juggle to figure out what is really going on. When you think you got it there is a final ( secret ) twist.

I am not sure if this twist should be revealed in the logline. On the other hand it would be a great "hook". Uhhh...

What do you think guys?
  2. davidartiste

davidartiste Silver Member

The twist is irrelevant in a logline.

for example, using The Sixth Sense:

A psychiatrist must help a troubled boy who believes he sees ghosts.

That is what the movie is about. That is all a logline is.
  3. Architectus

Architectus Bronze Member

I agree with David. Don't give the ending away. Leave reason for the Big Heads to read your script to the end.
  4. davidartiste

davidartiste Silver Member

It's not about leaving the big GOTCHA moment for the script. It's that the GOTCHA moment is not what the story is about.

***SPOILER ALERT***

At the end of The Sixth Sense, we discover that in fact Bruce Willis is dead. That is the big twist. But that is not what the story is about. A logline is for explaining in one or two sentences, what the story is about.
  5. Architectus

Architectus Bronze Member

Even if the ending twist is what the story was about, highly unlikely, I wouldn't recommend revealing the ending in the logline, but that's just me.
  6. SheWolf

SheWolf Bronze Member

Well, the final twist is what story is all about.
    The end is the actual beginning.

( have to tell you guys that I am used to write novels and this one would be a spectacular one. Maybe because writing novels is my territory. Screenwriting is a whole new thing for me....so many new rules that I am learning about along the way. But I'll be damned if I will not get it done. )
  7. ZellJr

ZellJr Bronze Member

The rules aren't so many. Don't let it overwhelm you.

You'll learn them fastest if you read a bunch of short scripts. We have some on here and dvxuser forums have a bunch too.
  8. SheWolf

SheWolf Bronze Member

I just came home. I have 2 DVDs in one hand and the belonging scripts in the other :) It will be a long and instructive evening.
  9. Lon

Lon Bronze Member

SheWolf, don't go confusing your twist with your story. They're two separate things.

Now just in case there's someone out there who hasn't seen the flick, I'm going to post this as a...

SPOILER WARNING (left click and drag over the space below to read):
    To use david's example, The Sixth Sense, the story is about a child therapist driven to make up for his inability to save a patient by saving another with the same problem.

The twist is the therapist is actually dead, himself. Having that information makes you see the story in a new light, and enables you to see clues you didn't even know you were seeing the next time you watch it.

BUT, the story itself is still the same: it's still about a child therapist driven to make up for his inability to save one patient by saving another with the same problem. The fact that he turns out to be a ghost himself doesn't change that story.

See what I mean? The twist is not the story. The story is the story. The twist is the twist (as well as a song and accompanying dance made famous by Chubby Checker, but that's beside the point).

As for revealing the twist in the logline, don't. The purpose of a logline is to entice someone into reading your script, not to ruin it for them.
    :)
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. SheWolf

SheWolf Bronze Member

Thanks Lon.

I think I got it.

But hey, don't relax too much, I will come up soon with other things that I need to get sorted out. :eek: