1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

Proper Defintion - GWH

Discussion in 'Screenwriting' started by righter, Sep 11, 2013.

1. righter

righter Bronze Member

From the movie "Good Will Hunting," Will Hunting is in the court room and saying the dialogue "liberty is the souls right to breath, without liberty man is a cinco (synco?)." Followed by "Ibid your honor."

Now ibid means end point, or reference for a source, so in saying ibid he probably means case in point, when the prosecuting counsel speaks up.

However, I'm still uncertain of what he meant by cinco/synco. Closest thing that seem it could be is syncope, however in the movie he clearly says "cinco." Syncope is not pronounced like that at all from what am aware of. Was it just, dare I say, poorly said? I was thinking cinco was some derivative of a single structure, alone and lost or something.

EDIT: In the screenplay the word is "syncope." However it's pronounced sing-ka-pee with three syllables, what's said in the movie clearly sounds like sing-co. Perhaps it's used in a dialect I'm not familiar with, or they changed it -- not too uncommonly -- during the shoot or as they were shooting. Or... he just says something that's not a real word but they thought he is so smart we'll all just feel too dumb to question it. And while were on this subject somewhat, how do people really read that fast where they turn the pages literally by the second? Don't you have to stop and process your information every once in a while...
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Donald_Kaufman

Donald_Kaufman Bronze Member

“Liberty is the soul's right to breathe and, when it cannot take a long breath, laws are girdled too tight. Without liberty, man is in a syncope.”

is a quotation from Henry Ward Beecher

As with many fancy words, it stands to reason that Will would only read them and never converse with anyone who actually used them, so, proper pronunciation would not be his strongest suit.
  3. Lon

Lon Bronze Member

I had the same problem with My Cousin Vinny. There was something he said during the trial, when the prosecutor insisted on questioning Vinny's fiance Mona Lisa to establish her expertise, that egged at me for years. I kept thinking he was saying "wah dee-ah," and every time I was like, "Damn it, what the f*** is he saying???"

Turns out he was using a legal term, "voir dire," which means a series of questions typically used to establish the qualifications of a prospective juror. And I only found that out thanks to my older sister who is, I'm ashamed (and a bit angry) to admit, far more intelligent than I am.
  4. spinningdoc

spinningdoc Bronze Member

It might be that the actor made the choice to mispronounce them because of that - Will's reaching for language he's only ever read as he strives for self-education.The mispronunciation is making a point about the character, or at least illustrating it. (To adapt Harrison Ford: 'You can read this stuff, but you sure can't say it.')

Or maybe he just got it wrong.
  5. Jack

Jack Bronze Member

I'm not surprised.

(joke)
  6. SCRIPTMONK!!!

SCRIPTMONK!!! Bronze Member

"Ibid" is a term used in the footnotes of a book. It means the source of the information used in a passage is the same as the last source referenced.

example:

"Elephants have been seen tap-dancing during thunderstorms (1) and are known to have their grandmothers brush their teeth when angry (2)."

SOURCES:
    1. Dr. Steve's All-Purpose Elephant Guide, Plymouth Press, 1972, pg 117.
    2. Ibid, pg 202.
  7. craktactor

craktactor Moderator

But in the case Re: GWH it would be:

"The term is often used in citing a case in support of arguments made in a legal brief."

Hence why Will said "ibid, your Honor?" before citing the prior case.

But Monk's correct too.
  8. Lon

Lon Bronze Member

Hey now! :D
  9. righter

righter Bronze Member

Yes it could very well be that he's all theory, no practice. That would gain support from Robin Williams long speech outside by the pond, when he basically told Will you may have read a lot of things, but you haven't done a lot, you're just a "kid."

Or... they f---ed up!

Ibid. Your Honor...
  10. righter

righter Bronze Member

I can spell definition (I typed that 3 types misspelled just now, 0 exaggeration) in case anyone was wondering, and as far as I'm concerned spell check should be activated in titles areas as well. *cough* -- *conversation change*

EDIT: 3 times* .. times! I'm awful, just awful. I will put forth extra effort to make sure what I type is what I meant to say. Right now, instead of hitting 'save' I will be proofreading this sentence a' three times. Good. Good. Good.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013