1. We want your script! The 3rd Annual Screenwriting Goldmine Contest is now open for entries. Cash prizes and meetings with our stellar judging panel of genuinely powerful industry figures. CLICK HERE for more information.

Page breaks in dialogue

Discussion in 'Screenwriting' started by jray1977, Jun 4, 2012.

1. jray1977

jray1977 Bronze Member

I just finished my first screenplay and I know that breaking a page in the middle of a sentence of dialogue or direction is a no no. I went back to edit any typos and tweak a few things and I noticed that I had some page breaks in the middle of the sentences so I fixed them. Well, in doing that I guess I created page breaks in the middle of other sentences. It's already been submitted to a few contests. My question is, how serious of a format error is this? Will I be laughed at? I followed the formula for formatting to a T and this just really bothers me.

Thanks
  2. mr wendal

mr wendal Bronze Member

Never break a dialogue. Never write the character on one page and the dialogue on the next. Never end page with just a slugline. That's about all there is to it.
  3. spinningdoc

spinningdoc Bronze Member

It's better if you don't do it but it's not a killer. Not worth fretting about it, just move on. At least you've caught it now.

Most scriptwriting applications automatically prevent breaks over pages. If you're using a wordprocessor, you can set paragraphs not to break, avoid widows and orphans, et.c