1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

Page breaks in dialogue

Discussion in 'Screenwriting' started by jray1977, Jun 4, 2012.

1. jray1977

jray1977 Bronze Member

I just finished my first screenplay and I know that breaking a page in the middle of a sentence of dialogue or direction is a no no. I went back to edit any typos and tweak a few things and I noticed that I had some page breaks in the middle of the sentences so I fixed them. Well, in doing that I guess I created page breaks in the middle of other sentences. It's already been submitted to a few contests. My question is, how serious of a format error is this? Will I be laughed at? I followed the formula for formatting to a T and this just really bothers me.

Thanks
  2. mr wendal

mr wendal Bronze Member

Never break a dialogue. Never write the character on one page and the dialogue on the next. Never end page with just a slugline. That's about all there is to it.
  3. spinningdoc

spinningdoc Bronze Member

It's better if you don't do it but it's not a killer. Not worth fretting about it, just move on. At least you've caught it now.

Most scriptwriting applications automatically prevent breaks over pages. If you're using a wordprocessor, you can set paragraphs not to break, avoid widows and orphans, et.c