1. We want your script! The 3rd Annual Screenwriting Goldmine Contest is now open for entries. Cash prizes and meetings with our stellar judging panel of genuinely powerful industry figures. CLICK HERE for more information.

long dialogue problem?

Discussion in 'Basics' started by victortiti89, Apr 27, 2012.

1. victortiti89

victortiti89 Bronze Member

In my script,some characters often use more than 4 lines long speeches,is it ok?
    example,to see what I mean:
    '' Then I am afraid I would have to
    attempt evading this place.I would
    then have to attempt neutralizing any
    and all those who will attack me on
    the way.The situation on my home
    planet is desperate,and such actions
    will be of necessity. ''
    Not all lines are that long,but most are..:(
  2. IAN M

IAN M Bronze Member

Thats not long dialogue, trust me.
  3. Australis

Australis Bronze Member

I've seen blocks of dialogue half a page long. Don't worry about it.
  4. spinningdoc

spinningdoc Bronze Member

5. ed earp

ed earp Bronze Member

hi i'm Ed.

This may be your style of writing -- there is no rule to say you have to have four lines of dialogue -- this is your choice. If you have something to say through dialogue, say it -- as long as it moves the story forward. If its rambling, don't say it, no point. keep this in mind. is there any other way you could show this through action. "moving pictures" or is using dialogue the only way. I always use action before i open my mouth.
    :)
  6. Jeff Jencks

Jeff Jencks Bronze Member

Maybe put part of it in (V.O.) so you can change the scenery while the character talks. However, I don't think you need to do anything because that bit of dialogue really isn't that long.
  7. Daniel

Daniel Bronze Member

That's not long dialogue. But I notice you say that most of your dialogues are that long. If that's true, you need to vary the length. If all dialogue in the movie has the same length, it'll feel strange.