1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

How to use journalism skills in scriptwriting?

Discussion in 'Basics' started by Powka, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Powka

Powka Guest

Hey everyone,

I have some kind of weird question. Well, I'm not going to study any of these - not journalism, nor scriptwriting - although I'm interested in both of them. At the time I'm doing some journalism - writing about sports and film to local internet portals, and also write to my own blog daily. I love writing, but I want to use this skill in more productive way - to write scripts for something to shoot/film, and I don't know where to start.

It seems that it is easy for me to came up with an idea for an article to write, I can write millions of them at one day if I have enough time, but when it comes to scriptwriting - for example to film something with my friends (one of them is talented in filmaking) - I can't came up with anything! I don't have ANY idea, I don't know...

So, maybe any suggestion how can I pull this off, how can I think of something, since I'm not hopeless in writing? Maybe there are some articles on the internet for inspiration or something, or maybe someone here is a scriptwriter and have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Tonja

Tonja Bronze Member

I think you have a goldmine (wink wink) with your interest in journalism. Many writers take ideas from newspaper articles all the time. Those same ideas you get for articles you can somehow incorporate those same aspects into a story. Hell, you could even make one of your characters a journalist! :)
  3. Scrivener

Scrivener Gold Member

4. Sal

Sal Gold Member

Powka, I'm a journalist too and when I turned my hand to scriptwriting two years ago, I was shocked by how difficult I found it.
    It's a very different discipline to journalism and it took a while for me to come to terms with that.
    Being able to write helps with the scene description/treatments/outlines etc and of course, most journalists are natural storyteller's, so you have a head start.
    The trick is, not to think about 'stories', but people...characters, as they are what drives a screenplay. Look around you - they're everywhere!
    It's also a good idea to read as many screenplays as you can lay your hands on. That helped me enormously. Then, it's just a question of writing and keeping going. Getting feedback and getting better.
  5. Ben

Ben Bronze Member

Ladies and Gents,
    Someone could make $55,000 per year working part time as an ok jounalist.
    It has nothing to do with screenwriting.
    Screenwriting is a mental and surreal form of chronic visualization.
    It has to do with "genetics' and your upbringing.

This is the truth. I'm sure you guys won't accept it.
  6. flipper

flipper Guest

part time? enlighten me! where?
  7. craktactor

craktactor Moderator

I think Ben means Canadian dollars. That would be roughly $8.00 an hr. US.
  8. Sal

Sal Gold Member

Well, for a start, it aids spelling which always helps....

'Genetics and your upbringing' ???????
  9. Ben

Ben Bronze Member

lol

WE DON'T NEED EDUCATION!!

I WISH TARANTINO REMAKES THIS MOVIE SOON

[​IMG]
  10. LukeJames

LukeJames Gold Member

Ladies and gentlemen... the world's thinnest argument... Thank you, Ben! :p

Now back to the thread... I did a couple of journalism subjects at uni... I haven't felt they have helped or influenced my screenwriting. Not unless I want to write about a journalist... which I don't want to do.