1. We want your script! The 3rd Annual Screenwriting Goldmine Contest is now open for entries. Cash prizes and meetings with our stellar judging panel of genuinely powerful industry figures. CLICK HERE for more information.

crime/thriller/mystery research advice

Discussion in 'Screenwriting' started by dawson89, Oct 4, 2009.

1. dawson89

dawson89 Guest

Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this forum and am starting to write a script for my film studies coursework.
    I really want to focus on content first and therefore was hoping for people to reccomend where I could look for true crime and mystery stories and anything else I could use as inspiration and a general outline for this screenplay.
    p.s. Im open to any suggestions and alternatives

Thanks!
  2. x.Vigilanti

x.Vigilanti Bronze Member

Hello,

Ironically, I was in the library the other day and came across a series of books that might interest you (I am also writing a crime/thriller). The book was called: The Crime Writer's Reference Guide: 1001 Tips for Writing the Perfect Murder written by Martin Roth. There were several other books related like: Howdunit Book of Police Procedure and Investigation: A Guide for Writers by Lee Lofland.

If you look either book up on Amazon.com it should give you ideas where to turn to next.

Hope this was useful.
  3. dawson89

dawson89 Guest

Sounds cool,
    I'll definately check them out
    cheers!
  4. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member

Books are fine for a birds eye view, but I strongly recommend you get out there and actually talk to some real police officers. Get a ride along in a patrol car for starters, get talking, network like crazy and meet some real detectives.

And it's not such a problem getting in - the police are more and more aware that writers want to talk to them - the Metropolitan Police in London are constantly besieged by TV and movie companies who want to do some real world research, so they are very used to setting up writers with working police officers - it's an extreme example but I'm sure that doors are comparatively easy to open where ever you are.

Your writing will benefit immeasurably from the reality that kind of experience brings.
  5. dawson89

dawson89 Guest

Wow thats a good idea I didn't think of that!