1. We want your script! The 3rd Annual Screenwriting Goldmine Contest is now open for entries. Cash prizes and meetings with our stellar judging panel of genuinely powerful industry figures. CLICK HERE for more information.

Brand New to this: should I even use Screenwriting Software?

Discussion in 'Screenplay Software' started by chris-the-writer, Apr 14, 2012.

1. chris-the-writer

chris-the-writer Bronze Member

Aside from the decent programs being very expensive, I'm curious if its normal among modern screenwriters to NOT use screenwriting software.

Am I just a newbie with false views on how to write scripts? Are these software really that helpful, or are most writers just being lazy?

thanks,
  2. craktactor

craktactor Moderator

The standard in Hollywood is Final Draft. That's a fact. Movie Magic Screenwriter is accepted, but FD is the standard.

If you want to write a script using Word or Celtx or any other processor, than do it. That's up to you.

Now regarding your last question/statement, using software isn't what makes a writer lazy, the software actually aids the writer, making it so the story gets done without all the extraneous stuff.

Hope this helps.
  3. chris-the-writer

chris-the-writer Bronze Member

thanks for the insight
  4. spinningdoc

spinningdoc Bronze Member

Also - don't get too hung up on worrying about formatting. With all the scripts you'll be reading to figure out the craft, you'll absorb it, and in Word (or other WP's) it's easier enough to set up the five styles - slug, action, character, dialogue and parenthetical - you'll need. The aim is to communicate with your reader, not win marks based on some set of arcane rules.

That said, you have to look professional, so include a formatting pass about the same time you do you typos-and-spelling pass, nearly at the end of the writing process.

You can write a perfectly fine script in Word, OpenOffice, Celtx, Final Draft, whatever. Final Draft, MMS, and Celtx just make it simpler, that's all.