1. Find out more about the Screenwriting Goldmine step by step guide to writing a screenplay... CLICK HERE for more information.

Belfast Drama Writers Group - meeting Thursday 13th May

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland' started by kinnygraham, Apr 29, 2010.

1. kinnygraham

kinnygraham Bronze Member

The first face-to-face meeting for a new Belfast Drama Writer's Group is scheduled to take place at 6 pm on Thursday 13th May.

The venue will be: Boardroom 528 in BBC Broadcasting House, Ormeau Avenue, Belfast.

Some of you reading this will have already been contacted about the meeting by the BBC's Bronagh Taylor and have already sent responses on whether you plan to attend. If you have been back in touch with Bronagh, then there is no need to get back to me - she's already passed those details on.

However, if you are hearing about this for the first time then please send me a PM to let me know if you are planning to attend. Right now we are trying to gauge the level of interest, so it would be good to get plenty of advance warning just in case we need a re-think on venue.

We will be operating a 'guest list' for the meeting - so please, do not try to turn up without getting in touch first to confirm your attendance.

I plan to be in touch about this again some time in the near future, but the main point to make about the group is that its success will be driven by the membership. While we are being kindly supported by the BBC's Sarah Stack and Bronagh Taylor in terms of venue, the nature of the group will be driven by you, the members. We'd like to think that if we can make this a success, then we might be able to attract guest speakers or support from groups like TAPS - but there are no guarantees on that score.

First and foremost we would like to hear suggestions and ideas about what you think you might get out of meeting with a group of peers - that is, aspiring writers like yourself, and I hope that you will come along and join in the discussion.

Better still - start discussing your ideas HERE in this thread.

I look forward to hearing from you.
  2. Phatbassline

Phatbassline Bronze Member

Good work on starting the group...Could prove to be a great forum for exchanging ideas.

This board also!
  3. kinnygraham

Here's the proposed agrenda for the meeting:

* Introduction / Welcome / ‘Housekeeping’
    * Personal introductions
    * Who you are and what you write / aspire to write.
    * Establish level of experience in the room.

* Discussion. What would people like to get out of the writer’s group ?
    * E.g. Peer review of work / writing ?
    * Finding a writing partner ?
    * Live read-through of work for (dialog / ‘voice’) ?
    * Practical exercises (loglines etc) ?
    * Possible ‘guest’ speakers ?
    * Frequency of meetings ?
    * Other suggestions ?

* Talk by Sarah Stack, Senior Script Executive, BBC Drama NI.

* Resources: Group session on resources that people find useful in learning to screenwrite and to keep informed of industry opportunities.
    * Books. (Field, McKee, etc etc).
    * Magazines
    * Podcasts
    * Web-sites.
    * Software (Final Draft, Celtx etc etc)

* Roundup / Summary - Schedule next meeting - invite feedback.

Any thoughts or comments on the above are welcome.
  4. Phatbassline

Any word on what sort of numbers you are expecting?
  5. Bacchus

Bacchus Silver Member

I should be there and hope to meet everyone.

No need for rolled up copy of the Times and carnation in the button hole though - I'm sure there will be introductions. :)

Malcolm
  6. Ian Nugent

Ian Nugent Bronze Member

Hi all,

my name is Ian. I'm from Belfast, and am looking forward to tonight's first get-together. Hopefully it'll be both fun and useful.

Top marks to Graham for all the work so far. Screenwriting Goldmine was a good call - it seems to be something of a ... em ... goldmine.

Note to self: must work on my hyperbole.

See you all later.

Ian
  7. Bacchus

Bacchus Silver Member

A big thank you to Graham for organising last nights get-together. I hadn't realised so many would attend - there must have be over thirty.

I'm particually looking forward to the pitch-fest that might come later in the year, that'll be a real test on how well you know your own script.

It would be great if the BBC rep. can organise professional actors to help with readings and help out financially on getting speakers to attend - all exciting stuff.

I thought that the usual barriers which are in place when so many strangers get together were broken down very quickly too - which bodes well for the future.

Malcolm
  8. Phatbassline

Yeah...Thanks to Graham for organising the group.
    Really good turn out and everyone seemed enthusiastic.

As a novice i know i can learn so much from many of the experienced heads....
  9. kinnygraham

Just made it back from Scotland today (flight cancelled but managed to get a ferry).

I'll be in touch with everyone shortly about 'next steps'.

Cheers, Graham
  10. Nexus6

Nexus6 Bronze Member

Any news on the next Writer's Group meeting?

Thanks

Mark